A wet November Toastmasters meeting. Today’s session was more impromptu due the the rescheduling of the presentation workshop. Thanks to everyone in the club who quickly filled the roles.
Our Toastmaster was Kirsty, ensuring the meeting ran smoothly. Rachel was the timer, Anna was the Grammarian and Dimos was our Table Topics Master. Jack was our Sargent at Arms to introduce the guests.
Anna also delivered her speech 9 project: Escape Your Everyday.
Table Topics evaluator was Tom, and Ga Lok evaluated Anna’s speech.
We also had Tomasz, our Area 58 Director visit and provide an insightful General Evaluation.
Photo: Rachel best Table Topic, Ga Lok best evaluator and Anna who is one speech project away from completing her CC !
Next meeting will be on Tues 29th Nov; and Tues 6th December will be our club social, a Christmas themed dinner party.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the “The Presentation Lifecycle: From Ideation to Preparation” workshop by Brad Revell on Tues 15th Nov is now cancelled.
However, we will be running a regular meeting, so as usual, doors open at 6:30pm to members and guests. Our committee is working hard in the background to make the late adjustments so that we have our usual fantastic meeting ; please bear with us with the change and if you have any questions, you can get in touch at: firstname.lastname@example.org
A brilliant District 91 convention on Saturday 5th November, filled with insight, meeting old and new Toastmasters of which some had traveled from other continents and of course laughing at some great jokes.
Thien Trang started the morning with very funny and heartfelt keynote speech on her journey to becoming this year’s District 91 Speech champion and her success in the world finals in Washington (placed in top 10 in the world!).
In the contests, due to huge membership growth over the year, District 91 has now expanded to 7 Divisions, each one providing a Humorous Speech champion and a Table Topics champion – these champions have won their respective Club, Area and then Division contests to get to this final. One of our members, Leanne had succeeded through all these rounds in the Table Topics contest and we were cheering her on to go for the District title.
The quality of speeches this year was outstanding and huge congratulations to everyone who took part. The results are as follows:
Humorous Speech Contest competitors (in speaking order)
- Richard Day – Education, Education, Education
- Ian Hawkins – A big, little country
- Angela Meringolo – I am a single lady
- Sean little – TRM made me a man
- Dallas Leigh-Martene – Jump
- Mark Pratt – Top tips for top public speaking
- Gareth McHale – Flop
Table Topics Contest Competitors (in speaking order – with the impromptu topic: “With culture obsessed with youth, is there a place for age and experience?”)
- Chris Boden
- Leanne Wenham
- Daniel Broadbent
- Jamie Jai
- Steve Dance
- David Saer
- Andrew Klimaytys
And the results for the Humorous Speech Contest:
- Winner: Dallas Leigh-Marlene
- Second Place: Sean Little
- Third Place: Gareth McHale
And the results for the Table Topics Contest:
- Winner: Andrew Kilmaytys
- Second Place: David Saer
- Third Place: Steven Dance
Whilst she didn’t place, it was a great performance from Leanne who did our club proud.
The next conference will be in Southampton 5th-7th May 2017, hosting the International Speech and Speech Evaluation Contest. Details will be sent out soon.
I hope everyone had a great Halloween over the weekend. This evening we had a “communication” packed Toastmasters meeting.
Rachel opened up the meeting as Club President and we have 3 exciting things coming up over the next few weeks:
- Leanne representing our club at the District Contest this Saturday 5th Nov – we wish her all the best
- Brad will be delivering his Presentation Lifecycle workshop on 15th Nov
- Our club Christmas social will be on Tues 6th December, starting with a short table topics session, we will then head over the restaurant for meal, drinks and laughs
Our Toastmaster this evening was Charlotte, making sure the right people, spoke at the right time on the right topic.
Time was monitored by Darius, he is a new member and he did an outstanding job in his first role.
Kirsty was our Grammarian, choosing “Transmogrify” as the word of the day, which referred to transforming in a surprising or magical manner.
Leanne introduced our new guests for the evening.
Rachel was our Table Topics Master, with a secret bag of items as theme for the evening.
Ana was our Table Topics Evaluator, giving our guests and members lots of feedback.
We had 3 great speeches tonight at the start of the second half (their speech evaluators in brackets):
- Brad – “The Pen is mightier than the Keyboard” – An advanced technical speech project on how you capture information affects how well you recall it (Marcelo)
- Ada – “Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam” – A project #3 speech on communication and broadening your horizons through language learning (Simonetta)
- Ga Lok– “The Accidental Handshake” – An advanced speech on how to have to make a better 2nd/3rd impression and the perils (Tom)
Congratulations to Ada for best speaker, Simonetta for best evaluator and Brad + Kirsty with their best table topic selling their mysterious wares.