A fantastic Toastmasters Division K workshop and contest today – at this level you are seeing the very best public speakers in London competing against each other for the Division title and the honour of competing in the District (National) final.
In some very tight voting, I’m pleased to say Andrew Osayemi with his speech “No, No, No” and myself, Ga Lok Chung was victorious in the Speech and Evaluation contests respectively. Woo Hoo !!!
I’d like to especially thank Rachel and Paul who celebrated with me till the very end, plus Christine, Jack and Annette offering words of support. However, it’s really our entire club; City of London Toastmasters that made this happen. It is our community, our friendship and never ending encouraging that creates success for all of our members.
On a personal level, in my 8 years as Toastmaster; I’ve made it to the Division final three times, and each time previously I’ve lost. But I didn’t really lose; I came back better, more focussed and more determined and this would not have been possible without members at this club. Whatever happens at the national final, I’m proud to represent this club, the most “rock and roll club” in London – take it from my own experience, keep knocking on that door and you will get an answer.
What happens next:
- I’ll be bringing the Division K winners “shield” at our Tuesday 3rd May meeting. I hope to see most of you there.
- The District 91 final will be during the District conference on the 7th/8th May. This year it’s held in central London, just 15 mins walk away from our usual meeting venue. It will be a fantastic showcase of workshops (the Toastmasters 2015 World Champion Mohammed Qahtani will be hosting one. David Taylor author of bestseller “The Naked Leader” will also open the conference along with a host of others); network with Toastmasters who have come from across the UK and of course the contests. I will be competing in the Saturday afternoon Evaluation contest. Full information to register can be found here: http://d91toastmasters.org.uk/conference/
Have a fantastic weekend and thank you;
Paul opened the meeting, reflecting on the importance of growth within Toastmasters.
Marcelo as Toastmaster welcomed everyone and expertly guided the meeting this evening.
Tom D was our timekeeper; reminding us the importance of time.
Jack was our Table Topics Master, using the theme of emotions as the basis for impromptu speaking for our members and guests.
Leanne was our Topics Evaluator; giving encouragement and feedback to all 8 table topics!
Rachel; introduced our new guests for the evening.
We had 2 great speeches tonight (their speech evaluators in brackets):
- Scott– “How Diversity Affects Netflix” – a thoroughly engaging and insightful talk around the benefits of having diversity to solve problems (Charlotte)
- Tian – “The 93%” – Turning the concept of a speech on it’s head, that content is only 7% of a speech (Paul)
It was a lively and Spring fresh meeting; congratulations to Ga Lok winning best Table Topic and Leanne who won best Evaluator.
Peter, the Area 58 Director also visited to present Ga Lok with the Area 58 Evaluation contest winner award . Ga Lok will be representing Area 58 in the Division K contest this Saturday 23rd April. It’s a full day event with workshops, networking and of course the speech and evaluation contest. Free to all members, more details and registration can be found here
Next meeting Tues 3rd May, see you all there.
On Weds 30th April, St Botolph’s hosted the Area 58 International Speech contest. Comprised of 8 clubs; it was going to be a very competitive evening as the winners of each club in the Area delivered their speeches.
Ga Lok Chung, having won both club contests on 15th March was representing City of London Toastmasters in the Speech contest and the Evaluation contest.
- Ga Lok won 1st Place in the Evaluation contest (now a hat-trick of Area 58 wins since 2014)
- Ga Lok placed 3rd Place in the Speech contest (1st place went to Jonathan Garrett from First London Toastmasters club)
Ga Lok and Jonathan will now progress to the next round to represent the Area at the Division contest.
Division K Contest details
- It will be on Saturday 23rd April
- Hosted at the Barclays HQ in Canary Wharf
- The day will be a mixture of speech workshops as well as the two contests
- Registration details on EventBrite will be sent out soon
All the best to Ga Lok as he competes against the best speakers in London in a few weeks time.